The Mission of DMA
The Dance Masters of America is a professional, certified membership organization of artists and educators committed to the elevation of the art of dance and to provide innovative artistic experiences for the advancement of dance worldwide.
The Objectives of DMA
- enable dance educators and their students to meet for a cooperative and collective study of their profession;
- advance the art of dance and improve the practices of its teachings;
- strive for the mutual interest and fraternal cooperation of its members;
- aid young dancers and dance teachers by awarding educational dance scholarships to accredited colleges;
- private schools of dance, educational and/or DMA educational workshops or conventions.
The Standards of DMA
Dance Masters of America has set certain standards which will develop desirable conduct to promote the dignity, integrity and public image of the dance profession. Dance Masters of America and its members recognize that a higher standard of personal behavior is expected of an educator. The personal behavior of its members shall not be disorderly, lewd, or indecent. This includes public, physical or verbal action; language commonly considered offensive; or distribution of obscene or libelous written or electronic material. Dance Masters of America shall not tolerate movement that is sexually offensive; costuming that allows exposure of private body parts or is not age appropriate. The purpose of this standard is not to restrict members, or participant’s rights, but to protect the rights of individuals to pursue a dance education.