DANCE MASTERS OF AMERICA
NATIONAL OPEN SCHOLARSHIP AUDITION CLASS RULES 2016-2017
Section 1 – ELIGIBILITY
1. Only members in good standing or a student of a member in good standing of Dance Masters of America, Inc. (hereafter listed as DMA) may enter and participate in the NATIONAL OPEN SCHOLARSHIP AUDITIONS held annually at the National Convention.
2. The Teacher of Record shall be the DMA Member Teacher whose signature appears on the National Scholarship Competition Applications as the Teacher of Record. The Teacher of Record shall be legally responsible for the entrant.
3. Entrants into the NATIONAL OPEN SCHOLARSHIP AUDITIONS must be a minimum of thirteen (13) years of age and not more than twenty-three (23) years of age as of the day the NATIONAL OPEN SCHOLARSHIP AUDITION is held.
4. The Entrant, Teacher of Record, DMA Approved Chaperone, listed on the NATIONAL OPEN SCHOLARSHIP AUDITIONS application must be pre-registered for the DMA National Convention at which the NATIONAL OPEN SCHOLARSHIP AUDITIONS are held.
Section 2 – DRESS CODE
5. Female Entrants will be required to dress as follows for all competition classes. The required clothing shall be the responsibility of the Entrant.
1. Ballet Audition: one-piece solid black leotard. No lace, see through material, embellishments, logos and no undergarments showing. Pink tights, footed or convertible are acceptable.
2. Tap/Jazz/Modern/Acrobatics: one-piece solid black leotard. No lace, see through material, embellishments, logos and no undergarments showing. Pink or Suntan/Carmel tights, footed, stirrup, footless or convertible are acceptable. Females not wearing tights for Acrobatics or Modern must wear dance shorts over their leotard.
3. Appropriate dance shoes for the class. There are no shoe requirements for Acrobatic or Modern Class.
4. No jewelry, shorts, shirts or pants, etc. will be permitted.
5. Hair must be secured neatly and off the neckline, no ponytails, no hats or other head ornaments.
6. Male Entrants will be required to dress as follows for all competition classes. The required clothing shall be the responsibility of the Entrant.
1. Solid black form fitting pants, ankle or Capri length, or black tights. Must be able to dance comfortably.
2. Dance Belt.
3. Black form fitting compression shirt or muscle shirt tucked in.
4. Appropriate dance shoes for the class. There are no shoe requirements for Acrobatic or Modern class.
5. No jewelry, shorts, hats, etc. will be permitted.
6. Hair must be secured neatly off the neckline, no pony tails, no hats or other head ornament.
7. No shorts, stripes, logos or other designs on pants or shirt.SECTION 3 – JUDGING
7. There will be an audition in Ballet, Tap, Jazz, Modern and Acrobatics. Entrants may compete in the audition(s) of their choosing.
8. The Entrant’s score shall be based on their technique, ability to comprehend, projection, musicality and appearance (neatness, posture, weight and build in accordance with the subject of the audition).
9. Students are encouraged to compete in all the auditions in order to accumulate points for the DMA Award of Excellence and the National Open Scholarship Awards.
10. The following Scholarship awards will be given;
A. The DMA Award of Excellence shall be presented to the Entrant with the highest combined total score in all 5 subjects (Ballet, Tap, Jazz, Modern and Acrobatics Auditions). A minimum of twenty (20) participants in each of the five (5) auditions will be required to present this Award. The winner of the award shall not be eligible for any other National Open Scholarship Award.
B. National Open Scholarship Overall Awards shall be presented to the Entrants with the highest combined total score in 4 subjects with Ballet, Tap, and Jazz being required and your 4th score being coming from Modern or Acrobatics Auditions.
The following minimum number of participants in each of the Auditions are:
10-14 Participants shall be required to present a 1st Place Award
15-19 Participants shall be required to present a 1st and 2nd Place Award
20 or more Participants shall be required to present a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Place Award
C. The National Open Scholarship Subject Awards in each discipline shall be presented (using the same scale as above) in Ballet, Tap, Jazz, Modern and Acrobatics. Each winner shall receive the highest monetary award that they have qualified for in accordance with their scores. The winner of any one of these awards shall not be eligible for any other National Open Scholarship Award.
11. The winner of the DMA Award of Excellence must retire from the National Open Scholarship Auditions.The 1st Place winner of the National Open Scholarship Overall Award may compete after a lapse of one (1) year.
12. National Open Scholarship Subject Awards will be presented at the PASC Grand National Championship announcements.
13. The DMA Award of Excellence and the National Overall Open Scholarship Subject Awards will be presented at the Annual Awards Banquet.Section 4 – GENERAL INFORMATION
14. All Entrants and Teacher of Record agree to the following;
A. To be on time and properly attired and groomed according to the Dress Code provided.
B. Auditions will be closed to everyone except those persons specified by the Scholarship Director and approved by the National Advisory Committee.
C. The Entrant and Teacher of Record hereby agree to abide by the rules governing the Dance Masters of America’s National Open Scholarship Auditions now in effect or announced thereafter. Failure to abide by all the rules stated or announced thereafter will result in penalty deductions.
1. Late for Audition (missing/late for Roll Call) 3 Point Penalty
2. Disobeying Directors 3 Point Penalty per Infraction
3. Dress Code Violation 3 Point Penalty per Infraction
4. Poor Attitude/Uncooperative/Use of Foul Language 5 Point Penalty
5. Immoral Behavior-Use of drugs or alcohol Expelled from Competition & Convention
6. Late for Audition (after the door is closed) Disqualified from that discipline